1 the state of being assimilated; people of different backgrounds come to see themselves as part of a larger national family
2 the social process of absorbing one cultural group into harmony with another [syn: absorption]
3 the process of absorbing nutrients into the body after digestion [syn: absorption]
4 a linguistic process by which a sound becomes similar to an adjacent sound
5 the process of assimilating new ideas into an existing cognitive structure [syn: acculturation]
6 in the theories of Jean Piaget: the application of a general schema to a particular instance
- Rhymes with: -eɪʃǝn
- The act of assimilating or the state of being assimilated.
- The metabolic conversion of nutriments into tissue.
- In the context of "by extension": The absorption of new ideas into an existing cognitive structure.
- A sound change process by which the phonetics of a speech segment becomes more like that of another segment in a word (or at a word boundary), so that a change of phoneme occurs.
- The adoption, by a minority group, of the customs and attitudes of the dominant culture.
Assimilation (from Latin assimilatio; "to render similar") may refer to more than one article:
- Assimilation (linguistics), a linguistic process by which a sound becomes similar to an adjacent sound
- Cultural assimilation, the process whereby a minority group gradually adopts the customs and attitudes of the prevailing culture
- Assimilation (biology), the conversion of nutrient into the fluid or solid substance of the body, by the processes of digestion and absorption
- Assimilation (meteorology), the process of objectively adapting the model state (of a numerical weather prediction model) to observations in a statistical optimal way taking into account model and observation errors.
- Assimilation (philosophy), incorporation of new concepts into existing schemes
Assimilating race in science fiction
- Assimilation (Star Trek), process used by the fictional Star Trek Borg race to integrate a being into their collective structure
- Biological assimilation is also used by the Zerg in the StarCraft series as a way of incorporating the genetics of other species into their own genepool.
- In Superman, assimilation is the method of being stabbed or injected with kryptonite
- In psychoanalysis, a mutual penetration of conscious and unconscious contents
- In Piagetian developmental psychology, one of the twin processes whereby concepts are modified (along with accommodation)
- In computer science, the modification of anti-virus software to detect a new virus
- In typesetting, the symmetry property possessed in varying degrees by a typeface that creates mirror relationships and other similarities of form between letters
- L'assimilande, a novel by Paul Laurendeau about fast-paced linguistic assimilation triggered by a technical device called the glottophore.
assimilation in Bulgarian: Асимилация
assimilation in Czech: Asimilace
assimilation in Danish: Assimilation (flertydig)
assimilation in German: Assimilation
assimilation in Esperanto: Asimilado
assimilation in French: Assimilation
assimilation in Korean: 동화 (동음이의)
assimilation in Kazakh: Ассимиляция
assimilation in Lithuanian: Asimiliacija
assimilation in Hungarian: Asszimiláció
assimilation in Dutch: Assimilatie
assimilation in Japanese: 同化
assimilation in Polish: Asymilacja
assimilation in Russian: Ассимиляция (значения)
assimilation in Simple English: Assimilation
assimilation in Slovak: Asimilácia
assimilation in Finnish: Assimilaatio
assimilation in Swedish: Assimilation
assimilation in Ukrainian: Асиміляція
Americanization, Anschluss, ablation, about-face, absorbency, absorbent, absorption, accommodation, accordance, acculturation, adaptation, addition, adjustment, admissibility, admission, adoption, adsorbent, adsorption, affiliation, agglomeration, aggregation, agreement, alchemy, alikeness, alliance, allophone, alveolar, amalgamation, analogy, apico-alveolar, apico-dental, aping, apperception, approach, approximation, articulation, aspiration, assimilation, association, assumption, attrition, attunement, awareness, basal metabolism, becoming, bilabial, bile, blend, blending, blotter, blotting, blotting paper, burning up, cabal, cacuminal, cartel, catabolism, centralization, cerebral, change, change-over, check, chemisorption, chemosorption, citizenship by naturalization, citizenship papers, closeness, coalescence, coalition, coaptation, combination, combine, combo, community, comparability, comparison, completeness, composition, comprehension, comprehensiveness, comprisal, confederacy, confederation, conformity, congeries, conglomeration, conjugation, conjunction, consciousness, consolidation, consonant, conspiracy, consumption, continuant, conversion, coordination, copying, correspondence, coverage, culture shock, dental, depletion, digestion, digestive system, diphthong, dissimilation, drain, eating up, ecumenism, eligibility, embodiment, embracement, encompassment, endosmosis, engrossment, enosis, envisagement, epenthetic vowel, erosion, exhaustion, exhaustiveness, exosmosis, expending, expenditure, explosive, federalization, federation, finishing, flip-flop, fusion, gastric juice, gastrointestinal tract, glide, glottal, glottalization, growth, guttural, harmonization, hookup, identification, identity, imbibing, imitation, impoverishment, inclusion, inclusiveness, incorporation, infiltration, ingestion, integration, intestinal juice, junction, junta, labial, labialization, labiodental, labiovelar, lapse, laryngeal, lateral, league, likeness, likening, lingual, liquid, liver, manner of articulation, marriage, meld, melding, membership, merger, metabolism, metaphor, mimicking, mindfulness, modification, monophthong, morphophoneme, mute, nasal, nationalization, naturalization, naturalized citizenship, nearness, occlusive, openness, osmosis, package, package deal, palatal, pancreas, pancreatic digestion, pancreatic juice, papers, parallelism, parasitic vowel, parity, participation, passage, peak, percolation, pharyngeal, pharyngealization, phone, phoneme, plosive, predigestion, progress, prothetic vowel, re-formation, reception, reconcilement, reconciliation, reconversion, reduction, regulation, resemblance, resolution, retroflex, reversal, saliva, salivary digestion, salivary glands, sameness, secondary digestion, seepage, segmental phoneme, semblance, semivowel, shift, similarity, simile, similitude, simulation, soaking-up, solidification, sonant, sonority, sorption, speech sound, spending, sponge, sponging, squandering, squaring, stop, surd, switch, switch-over, syllabic nucleus, syllabic peak, syllable, synchronization, syncretism, syndication, syneresis, synthesis, taking-in, tie-up, timing, tolerance, toleration, transformation, transit, transition, transition sound, triphthong, turning into, unification, union, using up, velar, vocable, vocalic, vocoid, voice, voiced sound, voiceless sound, voicing, volte-face, vowel, wastage, waste, wastefulness, wasting away, wearing away, wearing down, wedding, whole